Big in Japan (Ane Brun / Alphaville)

Norwegian songwriter, guitarist and vocalist Ane Brun made this cover of Big in Japan in 2008 for a Swedish TV documentary:


Big in Japan was the first single for the album Forever Young (1984). It was Alphaville's first hit. According to Wikipedia, the title comes from a phrase Big in Japan, which was used to describe Western bands who are popular with Japanese audiences while garnering little attention in their home country:



Lyrics:

Winter's cityside 
Crystal bits of snowflakes all around my head 
And in the wind 
I had no illusions 
That I'd ever find a glimps of summer's heatwaves 
In your eyes 
You did what you did to me, now it's history I see 
Here's my comeback on the road again 
Things will happen while they can 
I will wait here for my man tonight
It's easy when your big in Japan 
When your big in Japan, tonight 
Big in Japan, be tight 
Big in japan where the Eastern sea's so blue 
Big in japan, alright 
Pay, then i'll sleep by your side 
Things are easy when you're big in Japan 
When you're big in Japan 

Neon on my naked skin 
Passing silhouettes of strange illuminated mannequins 
Shall i stay here at the Zoo 
Or shall i go and change my point of view 
For other ugly scenes 
You did what you did to me, now it's history I see... 
Things will happen while they can 
I will wait here for my man tonight
It's easy when you're big in Japan

Comments